All antenatal inpatient reviews/ admissions require 1 full set of observations to be completed on initial review. This will be followed by an individual management plan documented in the maternity records by the receiving Doctor/Midwife. This will detail amongst other things the frequency of observations thereafter.
Post-birth labour ward observations will be documented on the MEWS chart by Labour Ward Staff. This will be followed by 1 full set of observations on admission to the post-natal ward – if satisfactory - for daily recordings thereafter.
All other Post-Natal Women
- 5 minute observations for the first 15 minutes
- 15 minute observations for the next hour
- 1 hourly observations for the first 4 hours
- 4 hourly observations for the first 24 hours
- If observations normal for 24 hours move to daily observations