- Be aware of the indicators of domestic abuse & its impact on health & (Appendix 1) & www.gbv.scot.nhs.uk
- See all women alone for part of the consultation to ensure that any sensitive information can be discussed safely & in confidence.
- Always set the context prior to asking about abuse. (Appendix 2)
- Follow this up with a direct question that requires a direct answer (Appendix 2)
- Always discuss confidentiality & its limits (child protection and vulnerable adults).
- Follow NHSGGC Spoken Language, British Sign Language and Communication Support Interpreting Policy (2012). It is not appropriate to use family or friends to communicate except in an emergency situation.
Have information on support services available in the department in places where they can be picked up easily